Furrnion is a convention of friendly, respectful and open-minded members of the furry community and their friends. By attending it, you are officially accepting and abiding by these rules. Keep in mind that these rules apply throughout the convention, including early arrival and late departure day(s).
Any action or behavior that causes significant interference with convention operations, excessive discomfort to other attendees, or adversely affects Furrnion’s relationship with its guests, its venues or the public may result in permanent suspension of membership. This directive supersedes all others below and may be invoked at any time.
Registration and Badges
- No attendees below 18 years of age. You must be at least 18 years old on your first day at the Convention.
- Only registered attendees may enter convention space, which will be clearly marked.
- Other hotel residents who are not registered with Furrnion may enter the public areas of the hotel according to their individual agreement with the hotel.
- You are required to wear your badge prominently at all times, so that you can be identified and recognized as a member of the convention. Different badges may grant or restrict access to certain areas or events during the Con.
- Changing or covering up any information on your badge (i.e. by using stickers or drawings) is strictly forbidden.
- If you have lost your room key please contact both Con-Ops and the hotel front desk immediately. Furrnion does not accept any liability resulting from lost room keys.
- Badges and their connected privileges are personal and non-transferrable. They may not be shared under any circumstances.
- ‘No’ means no. ‘Stop’ means stop. ‘Go away’ means go away. Period. Any further attempt may result in the intervention of Security.
- Some people are less comfortable with physical contact than others. If you’re not sure whether somebody accepts hugs, tackles or pounces, please ask first.Treat others respectfully.
- Appropriate and respectful behavior is expected at all times.
- You are liable for any damage you might cause to property regardless of how it was caused.
- Given their restricted field of view and costume fragility, you are expected to be particularly mindful around fursuiters.
- Knowingly providing transportation or housing, or otherwise knowingly enabling an individual that is unwelcome at Furrnion to attend or enter the Convention’s premises will result in revocation of Furrnion attendance.
- Furrnion is not responsible for solving any interpersonal problems that may arise between individual members prior to the convention. We can not pre-emptively bar a person from attending solely because another attendee does not want that person to be there. In general, we can take no action to prevent a person from attending the convention unless that person has made a specific and credible threat toward the convention itself or if another individual can produce a legal restraining order.
Clothing and Decency
- For safety reasons, fursuits are not permitted in the hotel dining areas at breakfast/lunch/dinner times, nor at any other location where, given their special characteristic, may pose a threat to their owners or those around them (i.e., areas with flammable materials and heat sources)
- Wearing, displaying or trading costumes, accessories or other items made out of real fur is strictly forbidden.
- Nudity and suggestive clothing (or lack thereof) is not considered appropriate in public.
- Sexual behavior that goes beyond a mere display of affection is not allowed in public.
- Display of any sign, symbol or clothing that is commonly associated with any organization, party or political ideology likely to offend other guests is not permitted.
- Display of adult-themed materials is not permitted in public areas of the hotel. This includes (but is not limited to): room signs, flyers, business cards, posters and drawings on public message boards. If room-sharing, display of adult-themed materials is not permitted inside the rooms unless all roommates are ok with it.
- Blatant exposure of fetish gear is not permitted in public, even if it is part of a costume. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Inflatable costumes
- Visibly “anatomically correct” costumes – wear clothes!
- Costumes or accessories commonly associated with fetish-gear, age-play, pet-play, bondage or sadomasochism.
- Acceptable items to be worn in public include:
- Collars without a leash attached
- Leather wristbands, without “D-Ring“
- Accessories used in an “innocent” context, such as a dog harness that is part of a sled dog costume.
Alcohol and other Drugs
- You are expected to drink responsibly. You will be held liable for both your words and actions, even if intoxicated.
- Persons who are intoxicated to the point of incapacity may be escorted to their rooms or expelled from the convention, at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere within the entire hotel premises except designated smoking areas. A substantial cleaning fee may be charged for smoking in a non-smoking room.
- The possession, consumption or sale of illegal drugs of any kind will not be tolerated. Attendees found in possession of such substances will be arrested, handed over to the police and indefinitely banned from the Con.
General Hotel Rules
- The consumption of food or drink purchased outside of the hotel is not permitted, unless it is consumed in your private hotel room.
- It is strictly forbidden to throw, drop or push any objects out of windows, from balconies, galleries or similar. Anyone doing so will be expelled from the Con.
- Attendees may not enter the service areas of the hotel. This includes all backstage areas, service elevators, the rooftops, emergency exits and all areas marked as “Staff only”.
- Tampering with any fire-protection devices – in particular, disabling smoke-detectors or malicious triggering of fire doors or alarms – is illegal and will result in expulsion from the event and liability for any damages or associated costs.
- If you wish to wear Body Paint, it must be smear-safe and not transferable to any other persons or surfaces. General clothing decency rules still apply. You may be held liable for any damage or stain caused by your body paint.
- Do not deliberately crack open glow-sticks or similar items containing dyes, sticky, or corrosive material.
- For safety reasons, it is not allowed to use glow-sticks as “poi” (spinning them at the end of strings) as they may crack open or slip, causing significant injury to others.
- The sale of any kind of merchandise outside the official Dealers’ Den requires explicit permission from the Furrnion’s Board of Directors.
- Per hotel regulation, it is not permitted to bring pets.
- No sleeping in the lobby, the hallways or the meeting rooms is permitted.
Hotel Rooms and Privacy
- You are expected to treat the hotel rooms and property reasonably and with care. You will be held personally liable for any damage you may cause.
- It is strictly prohibited to allow non-residential attendees to sleep in your hotel room. Violators may be expelled and held liable for compensation claims of the venue.
- If you do not wish for your room to be serviced, please ensure the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign is hung on your door.
- Unreasonably dirty rooms may be subject to a cleaning fee from the hotel.
- You are requested to ask your roommates for permission before inviting guests.
- You must not disturb people in any other hotel rooms. Please keep the noise down after midnight. If you are asked to reduce noise more than twice you may be required to stop what you are doing.
- Security is required to clear out overcrowded rooms. For your own safety and hotel’s own regulation you need to keep the occupancy below 5 in any room.
- The person in whose name a room is rented is solely responsible for the conduct of all individuals in the room as well as for the condition of the room. Excessive trash, soiling or other damage to hotel property, or any circumstance that may present a hazard to hotel housekeeping staff may result in a hotel fee or even being expelled from the hotel.
- Requests for room amenities such as towels and pillows beyond the number that is reasonable and customary for a single room will not be honored. Extra fee may result from this.
Weapons, replicas and dangerous Items
- All weapons, including replicas and toys must be approved by Con-Ops immediately after your registration on site. To do so, please bring your weapon to the Con-Ops office.
- Mock fights, swordplay, fire breathing or any other activities that may adversely affect bystanders or hotel property are not allowed without explicit permission from the Con-Ops, who will appoint a Security member to take precautions and to observe the activity.
- Con-Ops may require your weapon to be peace-bound. Tampering with the peace bonding is not allowed and will invalidate the clearance immediately.
- Weapons that might be allowed are those that are part of a costume or those that take part of a game/show/event.
- The authority on all weapon-related questions lies within Con-Ops.
- There is no right to carry a weapon at the convention.
- All weapons must be examined and checked in with Convention Operations, who will decide upon acceptance based on this weapons policy and their own assessment.
- All weapons not covered by this policy are hereto forth prohibited.
- All accepted weapons will be marked after being checked in an appropriate way to evidence their harmless-ness.
- An accepted weapon will be required to be peace-bound. Tampering with a peace-binding or a weapon’s marking will invalidate the clearance for the weapon immediately
- Con-Ops reserves the right to deny or revoke acceptance or to require a weapon to be peace-bound at any point and for any reason.
- Metal/Steel-weapons are prohibited.
- Any Con-Ops decision about a weapon is final.
- The following items, even though they could constitute a weapon, are generally acceptable:
- Multitools (Leatherman, Gerber, Victrinox, etc.) with or without blades. No blade may be longer than 10cm.
- Multi-function (with at least one other tool or gadget beside a blade) pocket knives. No blade must be longer than 10cm.
- LARP (Foam) white weapons (foam swords, maces, clubs, daggers…)
- Water pistols, silly string, or any thrown or projectile-type toy (Firing them anywhere is prohibited)
- NERF-Guns and identically constructed foam-dart-weapons (Firing them anywhere is prohibited). They may be required to have their magazine removed at all times.
- Replicas: Not functioning firearm replicas (Muzzle must be closed with a bright-coloured cap and the item does not appear life-like to a casual observer).
- The following weapons will always be prohibited:
- Any illegal weapon according to Spanish law.
- All live firearms
- All sharp blades exceeding a blade-length of 10cm
Photography and Videotaping
- You are granted the right to take photos and videos at the convention for private and/or non-commercial purposes only.
- Photography, filming, or taping for the purpose of sale, publication, public media, dissemination or other commercial gain is expressly prohibited without written permission by Furrnion’s Board of Directors.
- Photography and filming is generally allowed in all common areas of Furrnion, however photography and filming is strictly forbidden in the Art Show, Dealers’ Den, Fursuit Lounge(s) and Live Auction events.
- Areas in which attendees have a reasonable expectation for privacy are off limits for you to record or take photographs. These include but are not limited to: Toilets and changing facilities, rooms and Staff only areas.
- Other restrictions or rules may apply for certain events, and will be announced on location.
- Official camera teams from the staff may record video and take photos in the public areas of the convention (identified by the Staff Badges) and during events to be used in various publications. You agree that videos and pictures taken of you can be used in such publications without release or compensation. A release will only be required for material filmed in situations where a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.
- All journalists, media photographers, and any other members of the press are required to display an official Furrnion Press Badge and be accompanied by a member of Furrnion staff at all times while in Furrnion premises. Members of the press who have not been issued a Press Badge may not conduct interviews or take photographs, audio or video footage without an escort and may be subject to removal from hotel property. Media representatives who do not have Press Badges and are not escorted by Furrnion staff member should be reported to Security staff or to Con-Ops immediately.
- Please do not take photographs or video of those who don’t wish to be photographed. If you’re asked to delete a file by someone in it, please respect their wishes.
There can be no items for sale or display (publicly or otherwise) at the convention which violate any of the following:
- No items made of real animal parts, nor any sale of such fabrics. This includes pelts, fur and other parts. Leather is the only exception to this rule.
- Anything that constitutes a violation of European and/or Spanish law.
The Bottom Line
When in doubt, ask! –We will gladly answer all your questions.
These rules will not be debated during the convention. Con-Ops may, however, be available for you in case you feel you have been incorrectly or wrongly been accused of violating any of the rules.
Exceptions from certain rules can be arranged in some situations. However, bear in mind that decisions taken by Con-Ops are final.
Con-Ops reserves the right to impose any and all sanctions against violators of these rules or those persons involved in any other unacceptable behavior. The definition of unacceptable behavior remains at the sole discretion of the Board of Directors. Sanctions may range from a friendly reminder to a ban or, in exceptionally serious act, alerting the Authorities.
That being said – We want Furrnion to be a quiet and pleasurable experience, as friendly and open as possible. We hope you will have a great time!